At Salix Homes, we take the condition of our homes very seriously and we are committed to making sure you have a
healthy home, free from damp, mould and condensation.
If you have concerns about damp and mould in your home and the affect it could be having on the health and wellbeing of you and your family, then please let us know.
How do I know if my home has damp and mould?
Damp is caused by excess moisture in your home. The most common types of damp are rising damp, penetrating damp, damp caused by a leak and damp caused by condensation.
It can make your home feel cold and uncomfortable and it can cause structural damage if it's not dealt with.
Mould is a type of fungi caused by excess moisture in your home. It looks like a collection of little black spots and can often be found on windows or in the corners and edges of rooms.
Mould can grow in any home, so it's important to let us know if you spot mould in your home so we can help you.
Condensation occurs when moisture in the air meets a cold surface like a window or wall. You may notice it when you are cooking or having a shower.
If surfaces are left wet, a build-up of condensation can occur which can lead to mould forming.
Why is there damp and mould in my home?
Mould is usually caused by damp conditions like condensation that has been left on a surface for too long. Most homes have some condensation, like the droplets you see on windows in the morning or after a shower.
Some mould can be caused by damp from a leak, bad insulation or other factors, so look out for any wet or damp patches on your walls or floors.
While it’s quite common to find mould in your home, it can be harmful to your health if it isn’t removed, which is why it’s really important you report it to us.
There could be high levels of moisture. Often, this is just due to normal day-to-day use of your home – like having a shower, cooking or boiling the kettle.
If you see condensation on your windows, and that moisture can’t get out, it settles on a colder surface and can become mould if it’s not wiped away.
The fans and vents in your home might not be working correctly, meaning it can’t be properly ventilated, so the moisture has nowhere to go.
You might need some repair work doing in your home, so Salix Homes will identify what’s needed and arrange this with you.
Some things you can do to help
- To help reduce moisture, your home needs to be adequately heated. 18°C is the ideal temperature according to the World Health Organisation.
- Ventilate your home when you can. Things like opening windows or turning on the extractor fan when cooking can really help.
- If you’re drying your washing inside, make sure you open a window to give the extra moisture a place to escape.
- If you’ve got a tumble dryer, it needs venting to the outside (unless it’s a condenser dryer). Contact us first if you need to vent your dryer outside.
- Wipe away any signs of condensation build-up on windows or surfaces in your home before mould can develop.
Read more in our Support Guide: Tackling mould, damp and condensation.
Heating your home
Making sure your home is warm enough can help to reduce the risk of condensation related damp and mould.
We understand that you might be worried about the cost of heating your home. We can provide free advice and support if you’re worried about finances.
We want to hear from you if you have damp or mould
We might need to visit your home to identify ways we can resolve the problem. Our specialist Repairs Team will keep you fully updated and explain what action we’re taking and why.
There are lots of thing we can do to help. We might recommend some of the following steps:
- Provide extractor fans to increase ventilation
- Install a ventilation system to help remove moisture
- Fit a moisture identifying device
- Carry out specialist mould treatment
- Check the damp proof membrane and repair if needed
We will also contact you after we’ve carried out any repairs or treatment to check the mould hasn’t returned.