Renting out a room
Our tenants can offer a room in their home to lodgers, once we have given our permission in writing.
You’ll be allowed to take in a lodger as long as they won’t cause your home to become overcrowded, and you are not sub-letting the whole of your property.
Taking in a lodger can be helpful if you:
- are paying the spare room subsidy (sometimes called the bedroom tax) and do not want to move out
- want to downsize but have not found a suitable home
- live alone and would like some company
- want the added security of having someone else at home
- have a spare room after grown-up children have left or moved away for full-time education