Door safety checks
As part of our commitment to keep your home and your building safe, we ask customers to complete a safety check of their front doors.
These checks don’t need any prior technical knowledge or specialist tools and will take no longer than 10 minutes to complete.
After carrying out the check, you can fill in your form online.
If you report any defects or damage, you will be contacted by a member of our team to investigate further.
- Open the door
- Check there are three (3) hinges connecting your door to the door frame at the top, middle and bottom.
- Open the door
- Check each hinge has no screws missing
- Open your flat entrance door wide enough to walk through
- Let your door go
- Your door should shut by itself and tightly into the frame
You may have one of the two types of door closers below.
Door closers should never be disconnected or stopped from closing the door.
- Check any glass in the door is in good condition, with no cracks, and fitted tightly
Smashed or cracked glass needs to be reported.
- Ensure outer flap closes against the letterbox
- Check the brushes behind the flap are not missing (there should be a top and bottom set of brushes) and are undamaged
- Open door and identify strips (they will either be fitted to the door or the frame, not both)
- Check none of the strips are missing
- Check none of the strips or brushes are damaged
- Check none of the strips have been painted over
The strip can be either in the door or in the door frame.
Any missing or damaged seals must be reported.
Any damage to the door, any of its attachments or the frame must be reported.
The gaps all around the door should be less than 4mm. If the gap is bigger than this, it must be reported.